Please note that articles may contain affilitate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Sunday 31 January 2021

Oxfordshire Driver Clocked at 117 mph on Bald Tyres

An Oxfordshire man was clocked driving down the M4 at 117 mph on threadbare tyres.

Ismail Ay, 29, of Strathmore Close, Carterton, admitted three offences - speeding on the motorway and two vehicle construction and use offences - when he appeared at Swindon Magistrates' Court on Saturday, 30th January 2021.

Magistrates heard that Ay was behind the wheel of his Mazda CX-7 when he overtook an unmarked police car on the M4 near Swindon on Saturday, 31st May 2020.

The officer, who himself was driving at 92 mph, was concerned at the excess speed of the passing Mazda, which he recorded travelling at 117 mph before pulling it over.

As the Mazda was parked on the hard shoulder the officer noticed that both rear tyres were so worn that the wire cords were showing.

Ay was cautioned for the offences, to which he replied: "I want to say sorry. I didn't see the tyres."

Representing himself, takeaway boss Ay told Magistrates he had been returning from Bristol as he needed "some stuff for his business".

Addressing the bench, he said: "To be honest I was a bit late for the business because I open up at 4 pm and I had preparation to do still. I know it's not an excuse, I just wanted to be a little bit fast.

"Normally, I am using the motorway all the time because I'm travelling that motorway all the time.

"That was the first time I did the speed. I know the road very well and the speed I did I didn't really put anyone's life in danger or anything. I was a bit fast and I am really sorry for that."

Ay said that he normally checked his vehicle on a weekly basis and hadn't noticed excess wear on the rear tyres. He suggested that his excess speed on the day might have caused the damage.

Andrew Brown, Presiding Justice, said: "117 mph on a motorway especially with two degraded tyres - you were a death trap. It is dangerous beyond belief."

Ay was fined £575 and ordered to pay £110 towards prosecution costs and £58 victim surcharge.

His driving licence was also endorsed with 6 penalty points, which will result in his disqualification for 6 months under the totting up rule.

No comments: